Sunday, September 18, 2011

How long will my shellfish stock last for in the fridge?

Just made a shellfish stock today (Tues 28th) ready for a prawn bisque we were planning to have on New Year's Eve. Unfortunately without thinking I have included some fish stock from out of the freezer so I don't think I should re-freeze . Will the stock be ok in the fridge until New Year's Eve ?|||No. Throw it out and make fresh on New Year's Eve|||It is fine for 5-7 days, once it has cooled cover and place in the frig, bring to the boil and add to the mirepoix when making the bisque on NYE, what I do is buy shrimp shells, here in Toronto Canada as I was a chef at one time, I get lobster bodies, sometimes a few fish bone, and make my stock for soups, paellas and more, I freeze it in zipper top plastic bags even got some ice cube bags a few years back when visiting my chef mate in Liverpool, unlike poultry and beef stock, there is a very small amount of fat, seafood is not as fatty as meat broth is and that is what taints it and makes it go sour.|||Boil the stock with the added fish stock, cool then freeze. Fish stock should keep for 24 hours as long as it has been kept very hot or very cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment